Many real estate agents ask me why they need to set up a website using WordPress. Most agents receive a free website from their broker, so why spend extra on a WordPress website when they have a free one?
- Portability – What happens if you leave your current broker? What happens if you end up moving to another city or state? Will you get to keep your website? The answer is probably no.
- Customization – How well can you (or your web designer) customize your broker’s website? In most cases, very little if at all. With a WordPress website, real estate agents can do just about anything their imagination, knowledge, and budget will allow.
- Search Engine Optimization – Most broker sites offer minimal if any search engine optimization (SEO). If you want someone to be able to find you without you actually giving them the web address, you have to get off of your broker’s system.
- Name Recognition – With your current broker’s website, who gets the recognition, you or your broker? Most broker sites do more for the brand than it does for the agent. You need to market YOU, not your broker.
- Unique Content – Most brokers do a great job of putting content on your website. The problem is that they put the exact same content on EVERY agent’s website. Search Engines like Google hate duplicate content. If your brokerage has thousands upon thousands of agents, there is a LOT of duplicate content there.
- Blogging – Most brokerage sites do not allow for blogging. Blogging is a great way to put up unique content and distinguish yourself as the local or neighborhood expert.
WordPress is one of the easiest ways to get your content live so that people can find you. It is estimated that over 60% of websites on the web today use WordPress, and there are good reasons for that. If you are using your brokerage’s ready-made template website, you need to get WordPress.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? I’d be glad to address them.